Safety and Mobility of Vulnerable Road Users
Improving Cycling Safety using ITS
26th March, 9:00-13:00
AutomotiveNL, Automotive Campus, Steenovenweg 1, Helmond
The VRUITS is pleased to invite you to the seminar on cyclists’ safety organized by the VRUITS project.
The VRUITS project, which is sponsored by the European Commission (DG MOVE), aims at providing recommendations regarding ITS applications for the improvement of the safety and mobility for Vulnerable Road Users. VRUITS assesses the societal impact of selected ITS applications and demonstrates the use of innovative ITS applications for VRUs.
In Helmond, the VRUITS project will demonstrate how vehicles and cyclists can communicate with each other. For example, vehicle drivers can receive warnings of possible collisions with cyclists and the vehicle brakes automatically to avoid the collision or cyclists are personally warned for collisions.
In the seminar the VRUITS partners will discuss how ITS can be used to improve cycling safety. The use of Cooperative ITS for cyclists will receive specific stress. At the end of the seminar, participants will be able to visit the VRUITS Helmond test site.
- 09:00 Participants Arrival and Registration
- 09:30 Keynote speech (Rob Methorst, Rijkswaterstaat)
- 09:50 VRUITS project and assessment results (Johan Scholliers, VTT)
- 10:10 Improving safety of elderly cyclists (Stefanie de Hair, TNO)
- 10:30 Coffee break
- 11:00 Helmond and C-ITS (Daniel de Klein, City of Helmond)
- 11:20 Mobility data of cyclists (Kerry Malone, TNO)
- 11:40 Industrial perspective for C-ITS (Kees Moerman, NXP)
- 12:00 The Helmond VRUITS demonstration (Esra van Dam, TNO)
- 12:20 Lunch and transportation to the demonstration site
- 13:30 Visit to the demonstration site
- 14:30 Seminar closure
- 15:00-16:00 Guided visit to the Traffic Centre and Innovation Desk Rijkswaterstaat (optional)